Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Music For Mornings

I'm not using this article's title to start a chain or articles in which I talk about music every morning. If you came here expecting that, I have 2 things to say to you. The first being, why are you on this barren blog? If this turns out not to be a mixup with another website(which would have been a major fuck-up), the exit is right there (I'm referring to the "X" that you see at the top right corner of your browser). Im writing this article to talk about music that I enjoy listening to while waking up. The reason for doing this is because some people have recommended I talk about music in this blog. This means that:
1. We have people that read the blog
2. They won't even make an acount and subscribe to give us more followers!

Not everyone I listen to in the morning is completely gentle. It is however much easier to listen to compared to other things I listen to. Someone who I think can be enjoyed universally and someone you’ve never heard of is Thomas Moran. I ended up hearing about this guy through a number of musicians that are just as obscure. Anyways, here's a song by him.

I won't lie, I like to keep my noise rock and other loud shit for the afternoons. I like to have a peaceful morning because it keeps me calm for the rest of the day. The closest thing I listen to in the morning that could be considered heavy or loud(though I would disagree) would be Dinosaur Jr. There's one song in particular that I never get tired of. That song is Freak Scene.

Everyone knows the band Nirvana. However, there are a good amount of people who don't know the band Nirvana tried to be. I'm not trying to rip on Nirvana by saying they are a clone. Kurdt Kobain was the one saying he was trying to copy them. If you haven't guessed who I'm talking about, its The Pixies. I remember hearing these guys for the first time and being blown the fuck away. They are a band that you can listen to no matter where you are or how you feel. Here is a link to one of their songs.

I've saved the best band for last. Well, they are the best in my opinion. I'm talking about the grandpops of noise themselves. SONIC YOUTH!!!!! They weren't the first band to do noise music(basically, everything in the post-punk underground of the 80s), but they were(and still are) the best at it. I admit that there are louder and more vicious, but none have that emotion in the noize that Sonic Youth can tap into. I didn't understand what love felt like until I listened to Schizophrenia(Live and studio). They are a band like no other. They have been making some of my favourite albums for 25 years(30 years career as a band)now. It isn't just their old stuff that I love, but I feel more emotion listening to it than their new stuff. That isn't to say that their new stuff doesn't have a fuck-load of emotion as well. The one song in particular that I need to listen to if I'm having a particularly shitty morning is Expressway To Yr. Skull.

The mornings for me is more of an oldies kinda thing. I like to listen to the classics in the mornings, and save the future classics for the afternoon. I don't want people thinking that I have my head stuck up the ass of 80's underground, so I will eventually write an article for my favourite bands of the 21st century. Until then, never forget that Annie is in fact Kurdt.

Chris, Anti-Pitchfork activist

1 comment: